Sunday, September 9, 2012

One Month a/k/a 4 Weeks




We have officially survived our first month of parenting and can honestly say that Mason is a champ.  Don't get me wrong, we were tired at times but over all, we couldn't have a better baby.  He sleeps good at night, only waking once or twice when he is hungry, but the number of times where I felt completely exhausted were few.  He's a great eater and doesn't get fussy too much (just make sure he is fed when he starts providing cues because there is a short window of opportunity and this momma does not like to see (and hear) the pitiful cries and tears.  Granted I can't really blame him...when I get hungry, food better be coming soon!

At his 2 week appointment, he weighed in at 9 pounds, 7 ounces, 21 3/4 inches.  He is a growing little boy! 

Here's some interesting tidbits and quirks into the life of Mason:

**  He loves to suck on his fingers, particularly his thumb, though he has yet to fully master his coordination.
**  He is an alert baby, especially upon waking first thing in the morning.  When we get up, he usually is already up, but just looking around quietly.
**  He is a big leg kicker and it tends to look like he is trying to ride a bike.  This occurs especially during diaper changes which makes for a challenging change. 
**  During diaper changes, he will also stick his arms straight out with a wide eyed shocked look...not sure if he's surprised with the situation or what.  He likes to grip my finger after this occurs, maybe it calms him down...
**  When he is trying to wake up from his naps, he has several wrinkles on his forehead that really stand out...Hubby has these same wrinkles...
**  When I wash his hair, it seems to get lighter each time, so I'm just wondering what his hair color will end up being.  I may just stop washing it and try to keep the dark around for awhile.
**  Speaking of his hair, he has not lost any and I hope it stays that way. 
**  I'm amazed at how much his eyelashes have grown since birth.
**  He tends to be extremely vocal when feeding.  What can I say, he loves to eat and just likes to share this love.  At least we are having no issues in that department. 
**  Speaking of vocal, he is also vocal when pooping or trying to poop.  Lots of grunting occurs and sometimes it helps to bring in his legs like he is doing crunches.  (You know you have hit new parenthood when this entertains you and is a topic of discussion.)
**  He has already been lifting up his head and has been doing this birth. 
**  He enjoys napping in his little rocker, although we don't rock it or turn on the calming vibrations...we have yet to even put batteries in the thing.
**  My favorite thing is his grin which typically occurs while he is sleeping.  I like to think that he is having wonderful dreams that make him smile and sometimes even giggle.  Nothing is sweeter than this.

I'm enjoying getting to know my little man and cannot believe that one month has already passed.  The newborn stage has been good to us and nothing beats the cuddles that have taken place. I'm excited to see how he grows and develops, but I'm cherishing these moments now and I wish the clock would slow down.   

A peek into the life of Mason:








No comments:

Post a Comment